Biotech Summer Institute
Questions? Contact Emily at firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply today to join the Futurelab+ Professional Learning Community to bring biotech into your high school classroom!
- 2023/24 school year program beginning with the Summer Institute, June 19-23, 2023
- No background in biotech necessary!
- Travel reimbursements provided for teachers outside the Bay Area.
- Applications from high school life science teachers at California high needs schools prioritized
- Participate in the Summer Institute from June 19-23, 2023 in South San Francisco, CA.
- Review the Futurelab+ curriculum and get implementation support from fellow teachers, Genentech employees, and Futurelab+ partners.
- Hands-on biotech lab training with BABEC.
- Planning time for integrating components of the Futurelab+ curriculum into your classroom during the 2023/24 school year.
- Opt-in to participate in a Biotech Industry Experience Week at Genentech from July 17-21, 2023 at Genentech’s main campus in South San Francisco, CA.
- Deeper exposure to relevant industry connections to the curriculum.
- Participate in the Professional Learning Community during the 2023/24 school year.
- In-person and virtual experiences to support curriculum implementation, connect with biotech professionals, and gain hands-on lab training. More details provided during the Summer Institute.
- Report on your experience so that we can continue to refine and improve the Futurelab+ Professional Learning Community.
- Life science teachers (bio, biotech, health science, etc.) who would like to bring biotech into their classrooms.
- Teachers at Title 1 high schools in California.
- No background in biotech necessary!
- Stipend: $1,000 for full participation in the Summer Institute week; $1,000 for (optional) full participation in the Industry Experience week.
- Travel: Teachers at schools outside of 50 miles of Burlingame, CA will be provided with up to $1,500 travel reimbursement funds.
- Continuing Education: Teachers can opt to receive two Continuing Education Credits from Sacramento State University and two Graduate Units from CSU East Bay.
- Lab Supplies and Equipment: Teachers may be eligible to receive materials needed for selected Futurelab+ labs at no cost (see details below). Teachers will have access to BABEC staff for implementation support.
- (Details: Teachers within 50 miles of Burlingame, CA are eligible for free lab reagents and equipment rental. Teachers outside of 50 miles of Burlingame, CA are eligible for free lab reagents and may work with Futurelab+ partners to determine their eligibility for a free loan of lab equipment).
- Employee engagements: Opt to bring Genentech employees into your classroom to enhance your students’ experience with the Futurelab+ curriculum.
- Futurelab+ Network: Collaborate with other teachers implementing biotechnology into their life science courses!
The centerpiece of Futurelab+ is a new, free, industry-aligned, open-source high school biotechnology curriculum written by and for teachers, available at Futurelabplus.com.
- Covers two years of instruction.
- Equips teachers with hands-on labs, interactive resources, and career exploration tools.
- Designed to be flexible enough for teachers to integrate lessons into the scope and sequence of their existing life science courses
- Aligns with existing educational standards, including the California Career Technical Education (CTE) Model Curriculum Standards for Biotechnology, and incorporates three-dimensional learning innovations of the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS).
- Prioritizes industry-alignment, covering the full spectrum of the product life cycle – from molecule to medicine, with intentional focus on associated career opportunities.
Futurelab+ is an ambitious, Genentech-sponsored initiative to get U.S. high school students excited about biotechnology and help build a more diverse and inclusive future workforce in science and medicine. Ignited is proud to collaborate with American Institutes for Research (AIR), BABEC (Bay Area Bioscience Education Community), Discovery Education and Jobs for the Future (JFF) on Futurelab+.
Futurelab+ is comprised of three core elements: 1) a free, industry-aligned, open-source high school biotechnology curriculum available at Futurelabplus.com; 2) a Professional Learning Community that offers professional development, lab supplies, and a network of teachers teaching biotech; and 3) access to volunteer biotech professionals on the Futurelab+ Network.